If I could live in a world without carpet, I would jump on the chance. As far as I’m concerned, carpet is the devil. It attracts dirt and stains, traps allergens and needs to be vacuumed on a regular basis. I don’t have time to vacuum, and I certainly don’t have the stomach for harsh chemical cleaners designed to eliminate stains.
Having a dog and a child, my carpet is a virtual stain magnet. Getting stains out isn’t easy, and many of us are often leery of store-bought green carpet cleaning recipes for fear they won’t do the trick. Whether you’re spot cleaning, or using a steam vac, here are two solutions you’ll want to incorporate into your green cleaning arsenal.
Spot Cleaning Solution
You will need white vinegar, lemon juice, and baking soda.
- Pour 1/2 cup of white vinegar into a glass bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Mix in 1 cup of baking soda.
- Stir together and make a paste.
- Scrub the solution into carpet stains with a brush
- Allow it to dry.
- Vacuum up the dried baking soda.
Voila! Stains are gone and you don’t have to worry about your pets or kids getting sick from the solution left on the carpet.
Steam Cleaner Solution
You will need three gallons of distilled water, castille soap, lavender essential oil, tea tree oil and white vinegar.
- Boil three gallons of distilled water on the stove top and pour it carefully into a five gallon bucket.
- Add in two cups of white vinegar.
- Pour in four to five tablespoons of castille soap.
- Add 1/2 ounce each of lavender and tea tree essential oil.
- Mix well.
- Use with your steam cleaner, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Vinegar helps neutralize stains, while tea tree oil kills unwanted bacteria. Lavender oil and castille soap leave your carpets smelling fresh and clean without the harsh chemical residue.
With healthier, green cleaning carpet solutions, I’m a lot less hesitant about cleaning the carpets. At least I know it’s a clean my family and I can feel good about.